[Live-devel] Subtitle

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Jul 14 13:17:15 PDT 2005

>  I want to use Live.com to stream media to STBs.

Most set-top boxes currently handle only MPEG Transport Streams, which have
all media (video, audio, subtitles) multiplexed together into a single
stream.  It is then up to the set-top box to display (or not display) a
particular subtitle track, based on what the user selects (e.g., with a
remote control).

Note, by the way, that the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code can already
stream MPEG Transport Streams to Amino set-top boxes
<http://www.aminocom.com/>.  The "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application
can be used, for example.  It hasn't been tested with other brands of
set-top box, but perhaps - with a little work - it can be made to work with
them also.

If, however, you really want to stream a subtitle track as a separate RTP
stream, then I suggest doing so using the new RTP payload format for 'timed
text' that has recently been standardized by the IETF.  (The "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" code does not yet support this RTP payload format,
however, so new code would need to be added to support this.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>