[Live-devel] Stupid port question (on demand server)

Neil Alexander nalex at hand-off.com
Tue Jul 19 04:55:47 PDT 2005

Hello,

I thought I had this figured out, but now I'm confused again.
(Happens when you have to put something down and come back 4 months
later).

Anyway, using the ondemandrtspserver stuff, I want to ensure that it
will do what I want it to do.

I need to be able to stream > 1 session simultaneously.

When running the sample, I see:

"mpeg1or2ESVideoTest" stream, from the file "testv.mpg"
Play this stream using the URL "rtsp://10.0.2.6:8554/
mpeg1or2ESVideoTest"

"mp3AudioTest" stream, from the file "test.mp3"
Play this stream using the URL "rtsp://10.0.2.6:8554/mp3AudioTest"

Which appears to be using the same port. Can two different users use
the same port for two different streams simultaneously? I thought I
had to allocate a separate port for each stream, is this not accurate?

On the receive side, if I have two separate computers, (on same LAN
or not), do I need each computer to have a separate port #? Can the
"viewer" computer who wants to see two streams type in something like:

rtsp://192.168.1.109:8554/streamName
rtsp://192.168.1.110:8554/streamName

or:

rtsp://192.168.1.109:8554/streamName
rtsp://192.168.1.109:8554/streamName2

Or is it required to:

rtsp://192.168.1.109:8554/streamName
rtsp://192.168.1.110:8555/streamName

Also, outside the LAN, are there any issues I need to know about?
(other than firewall, of course)

Some light reading on this kind of stuff is obviously needed by me.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil Alexander