[Live-devel] Source release: on-demand multicast and unicast are integrated and RTSP over HTTP is now supported.

worm520 worm520 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 18:50:16 PDT 2005

Dear all:

After several days work, the built-in RTSPServer now supports RTSP over HTTP
and the OnDemandServerMediaSubsession can decides to unicast or multicast
according to a given subnet mask. Tested on FC4 and players including QT7 as
well as openRTSP. This modification is based on the release 2005.07.23.

NOTE: the source is not mature enough for practical use though it works in
my environment.

Some issues need more considerations.

1. When the incoming connection is RTSP over HTTP, the connection close
event ( open several QT7 client sessions and close them one by one) may not
decrease the stream reference count correctly. This leads to non-stop
streaming. I think this is a little bit urgent since it controdicts to the
on-demand requirement.

2. If your workstation has more than one network interface whose IPs are
located on different subnets, you can mix on-demand unicast, multicast and
RTSP over HTTP. Then you close some interfaces arbitrarily. The RTSP server
may not accept the following requests. Also, I note that streaming over HTTP
seems sensitive to physical links: the video freezes when connecting to
certain ports of the hub but not to others.

3. The subnet mask is passed to the construct of
OnDemandServerMediaSubsession or set by calling subnet(newMask) thereafter.
However, I think it's better to get the mask from the system. Does anyone
has an idea to get that portably ?

BTW, in OnDemandServerMediaSubsession .cpp and RTSPServer.cpp, DEBUG is
defined. For your application, you can comment them out.

Acknowledgements:
Thank Achraf GAZDAR and Ross for their reference and hints.
Hope this release may bring some contributions.

BR.
Worm