[Live-devel] Droping packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Jul 28 14:15:24 PDT 2005

>The problem seems to be that  I am losing packets on the the first
>socket.  When I run the application it opens the two sockets one for
>video and one for audio.  The time that it takes to open the second
>is to slow to get back

This seems unlikely.  The input sockets  - for both audio and video -
are opened (synchronously, by "MediaSubsession::initiate()"), before
any RTSP "PLAY" command is sent to the server.  For unicast streams,
no data will start arriving until after the "PLAY" command is
sent.  (For multicast streams, however, I suppose it's conceivable
that one socket might start buffering incoming data before the other
has been initialized, but that shouldn't be a problem (see below).)

>  and packets are lost and the recoded stream is then out of sync.

A/V sync is handled by RTCP.  It doesn't matter if some audio or
video packets get lost, or audio and video is delayed with respect to
one another.  See
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#separate-rtp-streams>.

How are you recording your stream?  If you're recording a ".mov" or
".mp4"-format file (using "-q" or "-4"), then try adding the "-y"
option, to generate time-synchronized tracks (see
<http://www.live.com/openRTSP/#quicktime>).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>