[Live-devel] liveMedia appropriate?

Dan Stanfill livedel at pinniped.com
Sat Jul 30 09:38:02 PDT 2005

>> Basically, I am adding a server to the voice chat used in games. Since
>> the
>> server will be remote, I am assuming that it is going to want to both
>> send
>> and receive unicast packets, not multicast.
>
> What do your clients (i.e., the games) currently do?  Do they use TCP or
> UDP, and if they use UDP, do they use RTP-over-UDP?
>
> Or have your clients (the games) not been designed/written yet?

Existing games are using a proprietary 3rd party library which is strictly
peer-to-peer and tied in closely with the rest of the game traffic. A
quick implementation using this library demonstrated we would be better
doing our own transport for a variety of reasons.

Underneath, this library uses UDP without RTP.

> Assuming that your clients are using RTP (see above), then the "LIVE.COM
> Streaming Media" code would seem to be a good match, although there
> would be quite a bit of programming that you would still need to do.
> Note, in particular, that the LIVE.COM libraries don't include any codec
> (i.e., audio/video encoding/decoding/transcoding functionality), so that
> would need to be added.

We are not using RTP, and initially I was thinking just raw UDP would be
fine, but it seems that an RTP implementation might speed us up by
handling a lot of the low-level bookkeeping, such as packet
reordering/discarding, etc. Also, RTCP looks like it might provide useful
info back for adjusting network usage dynamically.

> The "testRelay" demo application (see
> <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/#testProgs>) is an example of a simple
> relaying application.

One thing that wasn't clear to me in testRelay was the best way to
elegantly handle the multiple clients and one-to-many mapping for each
client.

Thanks for the feedback,

Dan