[Live-devel] WINCE Issues

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jun 1 03:56:46 PDT 2005

>  For CE platforms exceptions are just not a good idea.  In CE, every
> exception makes it's way down through the kernel.

I don't understand this.  These 'exceptions' are C++ language exceptions
(and, as in thie case, don't necessarily represent 'errors').  The
operating system should not be getting involved at all.

>The bad news is I can't see anyway to avoid this without rewritting code
>in the library to avoid exceptions.

The use of C++ exceptions (currently just in the stream parsing code) is
something that I'd like to eliminate, but will be non-trivial.

But anyway, why are you streaming files from a Wince device?  This seems
like a strange thing to be doing (I generally think of Wince devices as
being things like PDAs, that tend to be clients, not servers).

If you really plan to stream live video (and/or audio) - rather than files
- from this device, then you can probably do so using an appropriate
*DiscreteFramer class, which does not use C++ exceptions at all.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>