[Live-devel] WINCE Issues

Chris Kavanagh librestreamkav at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:32:05 PDT 2005

Hey Ross,

>I don't understand this.  These 'exceptions' are C++ language exceptions
>(and, as in thie case, don't necessarily represent 'errors').  The
>operating system should not be getting involved at all.

This is purely a OS/RTTI semantics issue.  Someone mandated c++ exceptions
raise system level exceptions.  Perhaps this is to make drivers more robust
as all drivers in ce run in one process?

One alternative is to use a third party c++ runtime but I didn't want to go
down that path.  Another messy approach is to use setjmp and longjmp.  I am
also the OEM in this case so I could hack around in the kernel but this
isn't an option for some people.

Blah, blah - not much we can do here :(

>But anyway, why are you streaming files from a Wince device?  This seems
>like a strange thing to be doing (I generally think of Wince devices as
>being things like PDAs, that tend to be clients, not servers).

I think the majority of CE devices are client type but I do know of a few
big company headless devices and other devices that fit more in a server
classification.  Besides, it's not all that fun following :)

>If you really plan to stream live video (and/or audio) - rather than files
>- from this device, then you can probably do so using an appropriate
>*DiscreteFramer class, which does not use C++ exceptions at all.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Chris

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
first two months FREE*.