[Live-devel] RTSP/UDP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jun 1 15:15:29 PDT 2005

>Does it make sense that I use RTSP for the connection
>and then I just use UDP to send data, which means I
>don't need to make RTP packets?

This makes sense only in a very special situation:
- You are sending only a single data stream (i.e., not an audio stream plus
a video stream), and
- The data stream includes timestamps (so you don't need the RTP timestamps)

The most common example of this is streaming MPEG-2 Transport Streams
(e.g., as is commonly done for video-on-demand).  MPEG-2 Transport Streams
have audio and video multiplexed together, and contain ther own timestamps,
so they *can* be streamed via raw UDP, without using RTP.

>what is the fast way to do it in
>testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp?

Unfortunately there's no standard way to use RTSP to ask for raw-UDP
(rather than RTP) streaming.  The LIVE.COM RTSP server implementation (and
thus "testOnDemandRTPServer") will automatically handle requests from
certain set-top boxes (notably those made by AminoCom) that request raw-UDP
streaming of MPEG-2 Transport Stream data.  (These set-top boxes handle
*only* raw UDP streams, not RTP.)  However, there's no guarantee that they
will handle other clients that request raw-UDP streaming (because, as I
noted above, there's no standard way to ask for this).

In general, I don't recommend streaming over raw UDP.  Use RTP/RTCP instead
- it's the standard.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>