[Live-devel] What is a frame in the live-lib ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jun 6 16:01:55 PDT 2005

>What exactly is a Frame?

In the context of the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code, a "frame" is a
discrete unit of data that gets delivered, by a "FramedSource" object, to a
downstream receiver.  That's a deliberately vague explanation.

For RTP streaming, for example, a "frame" is a discrete unit of data - with
special semantics - that can be packed (perhaps several at a time) into a
RTP packet.

>  We want to implement a DVB source based on
>FramedSource. Our DVB-Parser currently exports PES-Frames

So, is there one PES source for audio, and another PES source for
video?  Or is your input data really a single MPEG Program Stream (in which
case you will want to pass your data through a "MPEG1or2Demux"
first)?  Also, what do you want to do with this data?  Stream it using RTP
(as separate audio and video streams), or convert it to a Transport Stream,
or what?

Rather that focusing right now on the question of what a 'frame' is, you
should first ask yourself what is the format of your input data, and what
do you want to do with it?

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>