[Live-devel] FLAC audio format

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Mar 16 12:09:18 PST 2005

>Just a quick question.. It seems to me that liveMedia doesn't support FLAC
>(open source lossless audio codec) format, is that right? If it is so, will
>it support it in the (near) future?

Probably not, because there currently isn't any RTP payload format defined
(i.e., as an Internet-Draft or RFC) for FLAC.

(BTW, I don't know enough about FLAC to say how well it could be streamed
via a (potentially lossy) datagram protocol like RTP.  Unless it was
designed with streaming in mind, it could well be useless for streaming.)

If you really want to stream lossless audio, then  you should stream raw
PCM - which the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" library supports.  (See the
"testWAVAudioStreamer" demo program for an example of how to do this.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>