[Live-devel] Compiling LiveMedia Libraries in MSVC IDE

Ben Lear benlear at benlear.com
Sun Mar 20 14:44:42 PST 2005

Hey Ross,

I recently discovered the LiveMedia libraries and have been stepping through
the code in order to get a better understanding. My tool of choice for step
debugging is the MSVC IDE(when possible, eclipse otherwise) which involves
converting the command line make files into "project" files.

This went smoothly and everything compiled fine, however when the tests
where run I received errors in any code that performed a multicast operation
- such as the code that determines the local IP address. Anyway, to cut a
long story short the MSVC IDE *does not* define _WINNT, rather it defines
WINNT instead so the code is compiled to be compatible with Win95(Guessing
?) and certain socket options are not available. Following is the one liner
fix that may be worth including to save people reporting problems when
compiling using MSVC project files.

File: NetCommon.h
Line: 29

- #if defined(_WINNT) || defined(__BORLANDC__) || defined(__MINGW32__) ||
defined(_WIN32_WCE)

+ if defined(WINNT) || defined(_WINNT) || defined(__BORLANDC__) ||
defined(__MINGW32__) || defined(_WIN32_WCE)

Alternatively, just define WINNT in each of your MSVC projects and
everything should be fine.

Cheers,

Ben.

PS: Many thanx must go out to you for releasing such useful and well written
code.