[Live-devel] A slave recorder application...

sjhill at realitydiluted.com sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Wed Mar 23 10:11:11 PST 2005

Greetings.

I am new to the list, so your patience appreciated. I took the
time to download and read through the archives, but did not
find an exact solution. I am also new to the RTP/RTSP protocols.

I want to build an application that is a client, but it runs
as a daemon. I want to start up my application and have it
listen for incoming connections. I would have various servers
contact it when they have a stream ready and then my application
would connect to the server and record the incoming stream. I
will only be receiving a video stream with no audio. When I see
that a stream is coming in, I want to speak into a microphone,
digitize the audio and merge it into an .AVI file. This way I
can watch the video and give my own commentary in real-time and
record it to disk. I believe I will start with the 'openRTSP'
program since it has the record capability and can write to an
.AVI file already. I just need to figure out the mechanism for
allowing the server to contact me and how I am going to create
a clean interface to bring in the audio. I guess my only
remaining question is would I use SIP to have the server
contact me or does the RTSP support what I need? I will be
doing all of this development under Linux. Does anyone have some
thoughts or suggestions for or against my approach? Thanks.

-Steve