[Live-devel] GSM and AMR

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri May 6 12:33:35 PDT 2005

>I would like to streams GSM audio via RTP. What is the player that I
>must use? About AMR, Can I stream AMR audio without RTSP support or
>it is required?

Both GSM and AMR audio RTP streams can be played by QuickTime Player.

To stream AMR audio, see the code for the "testAMRAudioStreamer"
(multicast) and "testOnDemandRTSPServer" (unicast) demo applications.

To stream GSM audio, see
<http://lists.live.com/pipermail/live-devel/2005-April/002214.html>

If you are streaming/receiving a *multicast* stream, then you don't *need*
to use RTSP.  Instead, just have the media player (QuickTime Player, in
this case) read an appropriate SDP file.  If you are streaming/receiving a
*unicast* stream, then you *must* use RTSP (because a SDP description, by
itself, does not give the receiver enough information (about port numbers)
to play the stream).

However, I recommend that RTSP be used for all kinds of stream.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>