[Live-devel] How to compile new codec

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun May 8 14:27:18 PDT 2005

>I am a newbie and I am doing my undergraduate thesis
>about data streaming. How can I add new codec to LIVE
>to encode uncompress video file before streaming.

To write a decoder (or encoder) that works with the "LIVE.COM Streaming
Media" libraries, you would need to write a subclass of "FramedFilter", and
implement the virtual function "doGetNextFrame()" (to generate a frame of
decoded (or encoded) data, each time it's called).

For a model of how to do this, see the definition and implementation of the
classes "uLawFromPCMAudioSource" and "PCMFromuLawAudioSource".  (These
classes convert between 16-bit PCM audio and 8-bit u-law audio.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>