[Live-devel] 3gp implementation suggestions

Christian Alis ianalis at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:43:52 PDT 2005

> >I know that live does not support 3gp yet
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.  As far as I know, the "LIVE.COM
> Streaming Media" code supports all of the RTP payload formats that are used
> by so-called '3gp' streams.
>
> The only thing it doesn't (yet) support is the reading of ".3gp" files.

Honestly, I'm confused too.  The specs are quite voluminous and I only
started reading them now.  I have spent almost a couple of weeks
looking for the right combination of software to no avail :(

> >Encode a continously updated jpeg file as 3gp
>
> Note that "3gp" is not a codec; it's a set of RTP payload formats.  Do you
> instead mean "stream a motion-JPEG stream using standard RTP payload format
> for motion-JPEG streaming (RFC 2435)"?  Or are you planning to transcribe
> your JPEG data into some other video codec prior to streaming?

I intend to transcribe my JPEG data into h.263, package it inside a
3gp container then stream it using rtp

> >The intended player is a mobile phone midlet using the
> >multimedia api.
>
> Does this support receiving/playing JPEG/RTP streams (using RFC 2435)?

It can play 3gp rtp streams.  I'm not sure if it can also play raw
h.263 rtp streams without me subclassing anything

Here's the complete text from one of my references:
"Mobile Media API (MMAPI) (JSR-135) gives developers access to the
native file-based multimedia
services available on Series 80 Developer Platform 2.0 devices,
including audio in WAV, AMR, AMR WB,
MP3, and RA formats, as well as video in MPEG-4, H.263, 3GPP, and RV
formats. The specification also supports still images captured from
the camera."
--
Take back the web: www.getfirefox.com