[Live-devel] RTSP Client and multicast with AXIS cameras

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Nov 1 01:13:48 PST 2005

On 31-okt-2005, at 19:07, Federico Ares wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get an AXIS camera to work with RTSPClient class,
> basing me on the openRTSP code.
> There seems to be a problem when because RTSPClient expects
> to receive the destination multicast address in the conection data
> field
> of the SDP message (DESCRIBE response), but AXIS sends it in the
> SETUP response message in the transport field.
> The problem is that this field is not parsed for the destination
> and port
> sub-fields and this information is lost.

Mail Axis and yell at them :D

> I've succeeded to parse it correctly but I am not having luck in
> configuring
> the media session to work with these ports and ip address. In fact,
> after
> the PLAY, the server actually starts transmits the data (I made
> some network
> dumps with Ethereal) but the RTSP client itself is not receiving
> the packets.
> I think the RTP/RTCP ports are still not well configured in the
> media subsession
> and thats why the packets are not being received correctly.

that sounds reasonable.

> I also noticed that the AXIS camera can be asked via HTTP for the SDP
> message, and that this message is not identical to the one given
> via the DESCRIBE response. In fact the conection field contains the
> multicast address instead of 0.0.0.0.
> I havent tried yet to feed the media session with this SDP.

Try feeding the HTTP served SDP file to VLC. It should be able to
pass it along to liveMedia quite easily. In the Messages window you
should be able to follow the results of the SETUP and PLAY.

> If anyone is familiar with these problems, or is currently having
> the same
> difficulties, I would like to exchange ideas about getting this to
> work.
> Right now I'm trying to guess which variables of the media
> subsession to change
> to configure the ports correctly.
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Federico Ares.
> (Argentina)
>
> This is the SETUP Response of an AXIS IP camera:
>
> RTSP/1.0 200 OK
> CSeq: 2
> Session: 0299578912;timeout=60
> Transport: RTP/
> AVP;multicast;mode=play;destination=224.0.0.2;port=1024-1025;ttl=255

AAaaaa. now you have to phone them, stalk them, put them over your
knee and spank their monkey asses. If there is one IP address in the
entire multicast range which you should never use for multicasting
video/audio, then it is the 224.0.0.2 address. (This address is used
by the multicast routers).

DJ