[Live-devel] Re: Restoring ORIGINAL presentation time and duration on client side

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 9 14:33:45 PST 2005

At 12:25 PM 11/9/2005, you wrote:
>The trouble is, in my situation presentation time that
>I retrieve on client side IS NOT the same as the one
>specified on the server side:
>
>- presentation time on the server side is 0 based
>(starts from 0 sec and up)

That's your problem.  You need to start your server's presentation
time from the current 'wall clock' time (obtained by called
"gettimeofday()") - because that's what the RTCP implementation
uses.  If you do this, you'll get the same presentation times at the
client end.

>Regarding the media sample duration- would it be a
>problem to simply add an extra WORD variable to the
>packet that will contain the media sample duration?
>Would it break generality, or some ISO standard or
>something?

What RTP payload format are you using??  If you are trying to
implement an IETF standard RTP payload format, then you can't just
change the packet format at will.  (If however, you're implementing a
RTP payload format that you made up yourself, then you can do what
you like, but of course you can't expect any standard client or
server to understand it.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>