[Live-devel] need help to anderstand live555 RTSPServer part

pierre.lhussiez pierre.lhussiez at laposte.net
Fri Oct 7 15:16:43 PDT 2005

>> I don't understand why RTSPServer keeps subsessions when a client leave.
>
> Because the "ServerMediaSession" (and "ServerMediaSubsession")
> objects do *not* represent per-client state.  Instead, they represent
> the state of a stream that can *potentially* be requested and
> streamed (possibly by multiple clients simultaneously) at any time in
> the future.

Hi ross,

thanks for your answer,

i'm agree with you about keeping ServerMediaSessions even if no clients are using them, but I think that I need to do it to avoid a run out memory case.

I explain:

  I stream files on demand, those files are continually created or deleted by another soft.
- So I assume that I have to create ServerMediaSubsessions (in that case MP3AudioFileServerMediaSubsession) on demand, and so I need to delete it if the corresponding file is deleted. Right ?

-If I'm right, Where should I delete the SubSessions ? in RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession::reclaimStreamStates() or may be in OnDemandServerMediaSubsession::deleteStream() ?

your advices will be helpful, thanks in advance.