[Live-devel] Howto implement FEC for RTP?

Patrick Noffke patrickn at adpro.com.au
Wed Oct 26 10:55:02 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head around the design of the library, in order to put in an FEC RTP stream.  I want to base it on http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-ulp-11.txt, which will eventually supercede RFC 2733 and RFC 3009.

I believe I can transmit an FEC stream along with the RTP stream without too much pain.

The tricky part is at the receiving end.  The protected RTP stream needs recovered packets to be reinjected in the stream.  I'm not sure the best place to do this in the library.  It looks like the MultiFramedRTPSource is buffering packets anyway to deal with out of order packets.  But it appears I need to create a second class derived from MultiFramedRTPSource to receive the FEC stream.  Then what is the best way to hook the two classes together?

I'd appreciate input from one of the primary developers/maintainers since you would have the best idea of how the code fits together (and then hopefully you'd be happy with whatever patch I submit).

Regards,
Patrick