[Live-devel] Compilation under uClinux

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Sep 8 14:50:37 PDT 2005

> > Does the file "../UsageEnvironment/libUsageEnvironment.a" exist?  Did
> > you end up building the "UsageEnvironment" (and
> > "BasicUsageEnvironment", "groupsock", and "liveMedia") directories
> > before you got to "testProgs"?
>
>lib*.a files for all of the above exist, and they are compiled in the
>following order:
>1. liveMedia
>2. groupsock
>3. UsageEnvironment
>4. BasicUsageEnvironment

OK, so it seems that the problem is that the libraries (e.g.,
"libUsageEnvironment.a") are (for some reason) built in a form that's
incompatible with the subsequent linking into an application.

I suggest playing around with the following definitions in your
"config.uClinux" file - LIBRARY_LINK, LIBRARY_LINK_OPTS, LINK,
LINK_OPTS - until you get things to work.  Note, BTW, that you want
static linking for everything. (Dynamic linking, IMHO, is a PITA.)

You may find it useful to look at the various other "config.*linux*"
files (already provided) for guidance.

(If anyone else has successfully built the code for uClinux, please
send us your "config.uClinux" file.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE.COM)
	<http://www.live.com/>