[Live-devel] RTSP UDP multicast Streams and RTP video and audio on the same port

Brent Hunsaker saker at helius.com
Fri Sep 9 17:44:35 PDT 2005

I have been using the 0.8.2 version of VLC for Windows.  I have been
trying to get this VLC client which uses your RTSP library to properly
communicate with our RTSP Server so that I can use RTSP to start UDP
multicast streams.  The VLC client will start the stream OK but it can't
play the video and eventually crashes.

It seems that this only works using VOD unicast RTP streams.  I have
successfully run the VLC Server and Client on different machines and
gotten a VOD stream.  However changing the output from vod to broadcast
does not seem to work either.  Is this by design or am I missing
something?  The command I send the VLC RTSP Server are:

new channel broadcast enabled
setup channel input Cool.mpg
setup channel output #standard{access=udp,url=237.237.11.11:5011}

Also I am wanting to stream video and audio on the same port.  I read in
the FAQ that separating the streams is by design.  Does that mean that
the library only works with separate streams and that combining them
under RTSP is not possible?

Thanks for the help,

Brent Hunsaker