[Live-devel] Pausing an rtsp stream with TCP

Luca Piccarreta piccarre at elet.polimi.it
Wed Sep 14 01:34:18 PDT 2005

Hi Keith,
I did what you say and it's working fine.
Flushing the caches is not implemented in OpenRTSP, so you should add
some code, (possibly in the PlayMediaSession code).
I hacked somehow the RTPSource code adding a virtual Flush()
function.
Than you might try to read, still in the PlayMediaSession code,
the RTPInfo data, in order to tell the reordering buffer to ignore
packets before the resync point (fNextExpected packet or something like
that).
Actually this latter operation is strictly needed only for UDP
streaming, and from my experience, Darwin Streaming Server,
at least, does not need RTPInfo handling (if you think
a little bit about it, it's reasonable, it's just one single channel
multiplexed).
Apart for some missing features I think that you can obtain a
fairly good player by using OpenRTSP.
(Last point... you might be better off working with crude RTP
timestamps).
Happy coding.
Luca.

P.S. I just read Ross's answer, and if I'm not wrong stream packets received
while looking for a command answer are correctly discarded (there is some
code that when a '$' is found just reads the packet and skips it).