[Live-devel] Live.com and encryption

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:33:52 PDT 2005

What we need is a 128bit strong encryption on the data transfer. We do
not need to enable or disable access trough the encryption, it is only
meant to make sure that people cannot hook up their computers and
"download" the movie. The entire thing is ridiculous since the quality
of the movies transmitted is less than DVD, and it would be cheaper to
just rent the DVD and copy it. The movie industry is kinda slow that
way, but still, the only way to get any content is getting them to
accept our server solutions.

A UDP tunnel type would possibly be a easy way to go to get this
working. I was thinking of implementing ssl (or something) in our
output class, encrypting the data on the output, but this would
probably demand us giving out everything as open source, and I do not
know it the people with the money would like that :-/

Also, one would need to make the same solution on the client. This
might prove to be a more difficult task than I first hoped.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming =)

-Morgan Tørvolt-