[Live-devel] Live.com and encryption

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Sep 21 15:48:44 PDT 2005

>Is anyone actively using SRTP for video or is it only being used for
>VoIP like applications?

I believe it's currently being used in SIP applications,and remember
that SIP can be used for video as well as audio - e.g., video
telephony.  I don't yet know of people who are using it with RTSP,
but this is an area that the IETF is currently working on (see below).

>I didn't see a RFC for SRTSP or rtsps? However, it seems that port 322
>was reserved for rtsps. I'd assume if you are protecting RTP, you
>would also need to protect the session establishment and have
>someplace to exchange the SRTP keys. Tunneling RTSP over SSL like
>https seems to be a reasonable solution.

I beleive the IETF is currently working standardizing RTSP-over-TLS.

>draft-ietf-mmusic-kmgmt-ext-00.txt talks about storing the key
>metadata in the SDP description and refers to RFC3830, MIKEY:
>Multimedia Internet KEYing, as the key management protocol. But, I
>didn't see an RFC for this topic.

The Internet Draft that you noted is currently on the IETF standards
track, I believe, and so should eventually become a RFC.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE.COM)
	<http://www.live.com/>