[Live-devel] Streaming past a firewall.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 27 00:16:35 PDT 2005

>I'm attempting to stream outside my firewall.

Your problem isn't really that you have a firewall; it's that you
have NAT (network address translation).  As I noted a couple of months ago:

---------------
Unfortunately RTSP doesn't work well over NATs, because of all of the
explicit port numbers and IP addresses that are present in RTSP
requests and response.

However, if your client requests RTP-over-RTSP (i.e., receiving RTP
packets over the RTSP TCP connection), then it will probably be able
to receive the stream, provided that it is able to make the initial
RTSP connection to the server.

So, I suggest that you configure your client to request RTP-over-RTSP
streaming.

>Finally, there is about 3 seconds of buffering on the receiving end.
>Any way to shorten or eliminate that?

No, not in QuickTime Player - this delay is built in to it.

Instead, I recommend VLC, which is a superior player anyway.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>