[Live-devel] openRTSP and video sequences

Tom Hansen tomh at uwm.edu
Sun Apr 23 21:13:29 PDT 2006

Thank you for the prompt reply!

The application is an underwater camera that is tied to a buoy via an
Ethernet line.  The buoy is in turn tied to shore via a 802.11b link.
An ARM single board computer aboard the buoy needs to record the video to
its flash drive, using openRTSP or similar software.

Bandwidth is a big concern because of the limited speed of the connection
and also because the 802.11 radio can only be on for limited periods to
conserve power.

The idea is to record full video files and also construct time-lapse
videos ( < 1 frame/sec) during the day and then always download the
time-lapse videos.  A researcher on shore would then review the time-lapse
and then download the full video clips for any interesting portions
spotted in  the time-lapse.

Now, if there was a way to take hour-long video files from which
a researcher could choose a portion to download, then we'd probably
be in business.  I'm not sure that the ARM SBC would be able to
handle running a streaming server though.

As for my original idea, wouldn't it be possible to somehow modify
openRTSP to simply close the current video file and start a new one
if it received, say, a kill -USR2 or something?  Sort of like many daemons
that allow you to rotate their log files by sending them a signal?

Just a thought.