[Live-devel] Storing MPEG-2 TS data over multple 2GB files

Daniel Robbins drobbins at fsmlabs.com
Fri Dec 1 08:48:02 PST 2006

Hi there,

What is the best method for storing incoming MPEG-2 TS data across
multiple 2GB files? This would be for a scenario where it is not
possible to store more than 2GB per file, so that the stream would need
to be segmented into blocks no greater than 2GB on disk.

Specifically, I'm interested in knowing:

1) What is the best place to "split" the stream (on an I-frame boundary?)

2) Can live555 be instructed to treat these multiple files as a single
logical stream, so that the resultant segmented MPEG-2 data could be
later streamed to clients without significant additional complication
such as manually concatenating the files?

It is also important to find a solution so that future live555
capabilities like "trick" mode indexing will work without complication
and "see" the multiple files as a single stream on disk.

Regards,

Daniel