[Live-devel] live555 transcoding jpeg source file and allows other tasks to run

Armando Ko armandopoulos at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 7 01:13:46 PST 2006

Hi,

I am using the live555 to stream JPEG and MPEG2 files
and to run a second thread in my program, I use a function waitSmallTime for
the RTPServer Thread. But I have 2 problems.

This is how I configure my waiting function.

static char
watchVariable;

static void
checkFunc(void* /*clientData*/)
{

  watchVariable = ~0;

}

waitSmallTime()

{

      //*m_Env
<< "i am waiting 2000 ms ...\n";

      int
uSecsToDelay = 2000000; // (1000 for 1ms)

      //
Delay a short period of time before checking again.

      m_Env->taskScheduler().scheduleDelayedTask(uSecsToDelay,

(TaskFunc*)checkFunc, NULL);

      watchVariable = 0;

m_Env->taskScheduler().doEventLoop(&watchVariable); //return

      //
This allows other tasks to run while we're waiting:

}

Question 1.

I stream a real jpeg image with PAL resolution
(768*576) but the quality of the image is not gut on client. I´ am using as
client the Mplayer and I can see that my PAL jpeg image is deform or distort. I
want to know if the live555 trans codes the source for example JPEG to MJPEG or
not. An other thesis is that the Mplayer do that.

Question 2.

I try to
stream the MPEG2 files so, one thread send the filename to the RTSPServer
(live555) thread, in FAQ I have a tip to use the watchvariable, I do that with
my function see at the top if I put the
uSecsToDelay = 2000000; I can stream one short video (6 sec) an the RTSPServer
crash (bug) if configure so uSecsToDelay = 9000000 the RTSPServer can play the
video for a long time and the bug are coming.

To stream the JPEG files, I needed to make
uSecsToDelay = 2000000; if the waiting time is smaller than 2ms the RTSPServer
crash.

I should know, where I do a mistake in the using of
the waitsmallTime or watchvariable.

Thanks!

Armand