[Live-devel] Why not skip(or drop) the remaining packets of a truncated frame?

Brain Lai brainlai at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 23:32:15 PST 2006

Of courese, providing a large enough buffer is always the practical
solution. However, it is unreasonable to predict how large is an incoming
video frame for a general streaming client. That is, a practical streaming
client should be smart enough to enlarge its buffer on the detection of a
truncated frame. But how to?

Take MPEG4 ES video for example and assume the client is able to adjust its
buffer size. The video frame size may range from 15KB to 110KB or more which
depends on the streaming source. In the registered
MultiFramedRTPSource::fAfterGettingFunc(), the client has numTruncatedBytes
and presentationTime as the key clues to adjust its buffer size and drop the
remaining part of a truncated frame.

If the client is unable to change its buffer size(just limited), it still
has a chance to drop the remaining part of a truncated frame delivered from
MultiFramedRTPSource by itself with the duplicated presentationTime.
Actually, a streaming client is made by human rather than God, so it can not
predict its buffer size exactly well :-)

One more question: Is the argument 'durationInMicroseconds' provided in
MultiFramedRTPSource::fAfterGettingFunc() believable for live recording?