[Live-devel] Develop H.264 Support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Dec 24 02:50:01 PST 2006

>Another option would be using the rtp output format of the reference
>h.264 encoder. In this format NAL units are written in a file as
>single-NALU RTP packets. additionally there is 8 byte padding between
>each packet, which also specifies how large each following packet is.

You're missing the point.  Anyone can conjure up their own file
format for storing H.264 Elementary Stream data - in which case they
can also write their own "H264VideoStreamFramer" class to parse this
file format, and write their own "H264VideoFileServerMediaSubsession"
class (for unicast, on-demand streaming), and write their own
"testH264VideoStreamer" demo application (for multicast streaming).
Feel free to do this.

But unless there's a single, well-defined file format for H.264
Elementary Stream Video that everyone agrees upon (like there is for
MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or (regular) MPEG-4 video), then I won't be writing
these things myself.  End of story.