[Live-devel] Patch to liveMedia for Consideration

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Dec 25 21:58:15 PST 2006

>Attached is a patch file to liveMedia that I would like to submit
>for consideration. It allows liveMedia to initiate an RTSP session
>on an nCUBE/C-COR video server.  The code that was added is similar
>to the code currently in place for Kasenna and Microsoft.

Thanks for the submission.  Unfortunately, however, I'm getting
increasingly reluctant to keep adding ugly hacks to the RTSP client
code in order to support all sorts of different weird, non-standard
servers.  (I realize that - for historical reasons - we already have
ugly code there to support Kasenna servers; however, I'd like to
remove this at some point in the future (as these broken old Kasenna
servers fade into irrelevance).)

Our installed base (in VLC, MPlayer, and other RTSP clients) is now
sufficiently large (far larger than the installed base of any
particular RTSP server implementation) that I believe it's now
reasonable and appropriate for us to put pressure on these server
implementors to clean up their implementations to make them more
compliant with standards, and with other existing implementations.

With this in mind, rather than add your patch to the code, I ask that
the implementors of the "nCUBE/C-COR" video server make the following
three simple changes to their implementation.  If they do this, their
server should - I believe - work with the existing "LIVE555 Streaming
Media" RTSP client implementation - and the large existing installed
base of VLC (and MPlayer etc.) clients:

1/ Change the SDP description returned in response to a RTSP
"DESCRIBE" command to say
	RAW/RAW/UDP
   instead of
	RTP/AVP
   (reporting "RTP/AVP" is very wrong, because the server is quite
clearly *not* sending RTP)

2/ Accept "RAW/RAW/UDP" in the "Transport:" header of RTSP "SETUP"
commands (rather than requiring that the string "MP2T/DVBC/UDP" be
used).

3/ Make whatever (presumably minor) fixes are necessary to the server
so that you don't need to modify the existing implementation of the
"constructSubsessionURL()" command.