[Live-devel] Develop H.264 Support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 27 10:57:35 PST 2006

>This "Byte Stream" format would seem suitable as a storage format.  Also
>please note that VLC recognizes this byte stream format.  However, since
>H.264 doesn't specify frame rate and this byte stream format doesn't specify
>frame rate, there must be some other mechanism to specify it.

For streaming, all we would need to know is:
	(i) the 'duration' of each NAL unit - i.e., the time that
we'd need to wait between sending each one, and
	(ii) whether or not each NAL unit ends a complete 'access
unit' (i.e., video frame).

I presume that (ii) is easy to figure out.  But what about (i) - are
you saying that it's not possible to figure this out just by looking
at the NAL unit data?  (Is there no timing information there like
there is for MPEG-1,2 or 4?)  If that's the case, then this would be
a show stopper for using that simple byte stream format for streaming.