[Live-devel] automake

Thu Feb 23 12:47:41 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 02:27 -0800, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >I just added some automake files to liveMedia so i can build libraries a
> >bit easier. Currently I just hardcoded the CFLAGS from the config.linux
> >file, but most things should be easy to detect with automake/conf on
> >Unix.
>
> Remember that we also need to be able to generate Makefiles for
> Windows (as well as Unix systems).  That's why I've stuck with the
> "genMakefiles"/"genWindowsMakefiles" system so far.

Windows is "special" anyway, there is no reason to not keep the
genWindowsMakefiles system for windows. For example project files for
visual studio don't fit in the genMakefile system either, and most
windows developers seem to prefer a visual studio project, at least i
have seen that with other open source projects.

> It's a little inconvenient, but it works.

Actually it didn't really work for me, cause i wanted .so library. And
that was no problem with the automake stuff. But if there is no interest
it doesn't matter, it works for me and it since it doesn't really change
any files it is easy to patch in every following version of the source
code.

Than I have a unrelated other question, why are the include files in
rather silly directories, this makes it a pain to install the library.
It would be easier if i could do #include <live/liveMedia/bla.hh> and
install all includes under /usr/include/live/... But the sources and
header files all just have #include "bla.hh" which makes a "normal"
install almost impossible.

- Erwin