[Live-devel] automake

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Feb 24 00:53:41 PST 2006

At 03:49 AM 2/23/2006, you wrote:
>BTW: The reason i wanted .so libraries is to comply with the LGPL, which
>as far as i understand it does not allow you to statically link a
>executable

Although some people have interpreted the LGPL that way (admittedly,
the language in the LGPL is rather vague on this point), it has never
been my intention to restrict statically-linked applications.  (Note,
for example, that the demo applications in "testProgs" end up being
statically linked.)  I can state (as the copyright owner in this
case) that you are free to link the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
libraries statically with any other code (open or closed source).

Note in particular, that this code is intended for use in embedded
systems, for which dynamic linking really doesn't make much sense.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>