[Live-devel] Adding KeepAlive method in RTSPClient

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Thu Jan 5 17:01:32 PST 2006

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at extending my GET_PARAMETER patch to support Kasenna's
KeepAlive method's for mpeg1 and mpeg2 playback. This method of
playback will get the server to issue a server side TEARDOWN of any
stream that hasn't been responding every n seconds (n defaults to
60). This has the benefit of releasing server side stream allocations
for clients that didn't get to TEARDOWN the session by them selves
(powered off etc.).

The process is as follows,
1) Append "_KA" to the user agent string (will be enabled via an
option like the current Kasenna support)
2) Modify the Setup routine to read the extra info on the Session:
response, it now looks like...
   Session: 18; timeout=60
3) Activate a timer mechanism to send the keep alive polling message
every timeout-n seconds
   GET_PARAMETER message with an empty body, i.e. no parameter name
variable, is the poll message. Poll must
   happen within timeout seconds, hence the -n.

My main question is about the timer side of things, does liveMedia
have a mechanism for this ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland