[Live-devel] RTP packet rate smoothing?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 19 12:34:47 PST 2006

>Any suggestions on to spread out the packets that make up a given
>frame so they are uniformly distributed over the frame time
>(durationInMicroSeconds).

A better (or at least easier) solution would be to ensure that
there's at least a minimum delay between successive outgoing packets,
so as to not exceed the overall bit rate of the network.

I.e., add the following statement just before the call to
"scheduleDelayedTask()" in "MultiFramedRTPSink.cpp":
         if (uSecondsToGo < minInterPacketGap) uSecondsToGo =
minInterPacketGap;

Where "minInterPacketGap" is defined as:
         minInterPacketGap = (8*1500*1000000)/B
where B is the network bit rate (in bits per second).

E.g., for a 1 Mbps network, "minInterPacketGap" would be 8*1500 =
12000 microseconds.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>