[Live-devel] How large and how fast can a file trevels via LAN uing this library?

Manuel Bernal Llinares mbernal at dif.um.es
Mon Jul 10 09:56:34 PDT 2006

El Lunes, 10 de Julio de 2006 15:45, Bus Mini escribió:
> Could somebody answer my question, because this library so large, it
> is diffcult for me to find the answers. I need your help.
> Thanks for reading my mail.
>
> On 7/9/06, Bus Mini <micraltoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new in this list. Before I start to use this library, I have two
> > questions to asked.
> >
> > 1, can I send othet data tpye(ect. jpg) using this library? It seems
> > there is no API for me to do this.

To do this you'll need to implement a class hierarchy that could understand
JPEG images on the server side to send them over the net and, on the client
side, the right RTP Source to get them from the net. It is saying, as I've
seen, this library has two hierarhies of classes: one for the server and
related to Sinks, and one for the client and related to Sources. Look at
classes like MPEG1or2VideoRTPSink and MPEG1or2VideoSource, the first is used
by the server and the second is used by the client.

> > 2, How fast and how large can a file trevels via LAN uing this
> > library? Because I know some libraries have this constrain.  If the
> > data was sended fast then a library can deal with, it will cause
> > flowup.

I've been working with this library several months to add some features like
IPv6 and, although I don't know the whole library because I haven't had to
modify the whole library, it seems that the throughput this software supports
depends on the Sinks hierarchy of classes which are the responsible of
injecting network traffic.

This traffic depends on the file, it is saying, it depends on whether you are
sending mp3 music, mpeg audio/video and so on, I think.

So, taking a hard source of information like a .VOB file would be a good
example of the capabilities the library has to inject traffic on the net.

But as my work with this liveMedia library is related to security and IP
protocol support, I don't know much about the classes that decode media files
for sending over the net.

We must also keep in mind that, in most cases, it will be UDP traffic, which
will be under the restrictions of the net the library is working.

I hope this could be of some kind of help to you.

--
Manuel Bernal Llinares
Dept. Ingeniería de la Información y las Comunicaciones

Gloffing is a state of mine.