[Live-devel] Streaming from a live Source

Simon, Heiko Heiko.Simon at iai.fzk.de
Thu Jul 20 00:59:29 PDT 2006

Hi there!

I would like to stream live video via LIVE555.

I want to use ffmpeg-libraries to encode it.

So far I only encode a test-image over and over again and feed it to LIVE555,
as described in: http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput

I used the option using:
"For a model of how to do that, see "liveMedia/DeviceSource.cpp" (and "liveMedia/include/DeviceSource.hh"). You will need to fill in parts of this code to do the actual read from your encoder."
So far I encode the single pictures and hand the resulting frames to LIVE within the deliverframe()- method.

The programm compiles, starts streaming and so on but I can´t use receive anything with vlc as a client. VLC works as a client for the other examples of LIVE, where videofiles are streamed. So I thought I could just change on of the server- examples, so it streams my testimages instead of the file. I´m a bit confused therefore and I realized that not everything is clear to me:

One thing I´m not sure about is whether "framed source" means video- frames, or frames of data or something.
I take it, it´s video-frames. Is that right?

If so, here´s another one:

Does LIVE handle the packetizing of the frames? I actually assumed that LIVE would want to have Videostreams within a streamable packetformat like mp4 or so..
Instead it seams that I can just supply it with pure encoded frames. Is this ok like that?
If so, how can a client tell whether a received frame is encoded for example with divx, h263, or any other codec?

Thanks so far.

Feel free to ask me if I haven't been clear enough.

CU

Heiko