[Live-devel] SECOND and friends

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 1 12:10:04 PST 2006

>>Is the other use of "SECOND" just within VLC, or is it also within
>>another external library?
>
>It's also an external library. (an OS part actually)
>I was always taught that any symbol that you export externally should
>be prefixed with a "namespace" component to make sure it doesn't
>overlap with other APIs.

Yes, I agree in principle.  However, to date I've avoided using
'advanced' C++ features like namespaces (and templates), because some
people's development environments might not be able to handle
them.  (For instance, the handful of places where I use C++
exceptions (to do MPEG stream parsing) still cause problems for some people.)

>Besides this was introduced into a function only just recently wasn't
>it?

No - it's been in the same place ("DelayQueue.cpp" in the
"BasicUsageEnvironment" library) for years.  So it's a bit of a
mystery why it has suddenly caused you problems.

>It shouldn't be much of a problem for
>the API. The API for liveMedia changed quite often already.

Actually, non-backwards-compatible changes to the API occur very
infrequently now; it's been months since the last one.  However,
because this change is likely to be harmless (I don't know of any
non-library code that is currently using SECOND etc.), I'll make it
in the next release of the software.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>