[Live-devel] PATCH RTSP KeepAlive Support.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 14 14:28:15 PST 2006

> > (BTW, at some point in the future I'd like to get rid of most of
> > these version "#ifdef"s in "livedotcom.cpp" by saying that LIVE555
> > library versions earlier than a certain date are simply not
> > supported by VLC.)
>
>Linux distributions are usually much more flexible then Mac OSX and
>Windows releases, and we need and want to account for that. I would
>prefer to keep each ifdef for quite some time. They aren't really
>bothersome in the VLC code

OTOH, the "#ifdef"s do look rather ugly, especially as they
accumulate over time.

>and VERY helpful to distro maintainers.

True - however, I don't encourage the use of old (especially, very
old) versions of the LIVE555 libraries, and don't support them at
all.  OTOH, I understand why it makes sense for you to keep old
version(s) cached on the VLC web site, and I generally don't have a
problem with that.  Perhaps, though, it might make sense (at some
point) to clean up the "livedotcom.cpp" code by no longer supporting
versions of the code that are older than the oldest version of the
code that you currently have cached on your web site?

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>