[Live-devel] How do I create a m4v file that works with testMPEG4VideoToDarwin ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 28 06:28:35 PST 2006

>I am interested in running the testMPEG4VideoToDarwin test program.
>How do I get an m4v that the program is able to parse and stream to
>the Darwin server? I have tried using some converters to create
>MPEG4 .m4v streams but the program is not able to find the
>configuration information in the stream and therefore crashes after a while.

One easy way to get a MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream file is to find
a public MPEG-4 RTSP/RTP stream, and then run "openRTSP" on it.

If you search in Google for
         +"rtsp://" +".mp4"
then you'll find several "rtsp://" URLs that contain MPEG-4 video
content.  You can try some of these (using "openRTSP" with the "-t"
or "-T <http-port>" option (try 80, 8000 and 8080 for <http-port>).

E.g., run
         openRTSP -V -e 10 rtsp://christianchallenge.org/ccistream/sunday.mp4
(If you're behind a firewall, you may also need to add the "-t"
option, to request that RTP be streamed over the TCP connection.)

This will give you two files: "video-MP4V-ES-1" and
"audio-MPEG4-GENERIC-2".  Rename the file "video-MP4V-ES-1" as
"test.m4v", and you will be able to use it in
"testMPEG4VideoStreamer",  "testOnDemandRTSPServer", and
"testMPEG4VideoToDarwin".  (Note that you don't really need to use a
separate 'Darwin' server, because "testOnDemandRTSPServer" already
has a built-in RTSP server.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>