[Live-devel] RTSP over UDP...

Thomas Christensen tchristensen at nordija.com
Tue May 2 06:54:03 PDT 2006

Hi Ross and fellow Live555 fans

On 28/04/2006, at 22.36, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>>> No.  RTSP over UDP has never been standardized, and is not supported
>>> at all (by anyone, actually).
>> Would it be possible to do RTSP over UDP
>
> Probably, but until such a thing is standardized by the IETF (which
> may never happen), we will never support such a thing.
Sorry I meant RTSP communicating using TCP but controlling a stream
distributed using UDP without RTP wrappings.

>> I would like to get this running with
>> the Kreatel and Amino settop boxes who cannot do RTSP/RTP.
>
> That's not true - at least for the Amino set-top boxes.  They handle
> RTSP-over-TCP just fine.  However, the stream that they receive
> (*not* the RTSP control channel) is MPEG Transport over UDP (not RTP).
Yes, the same is true for Kreatel.

> However, our RTSP server implementation *does* support streaming to
> Amino set-top boxes.  See <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/
> faq.html#stb>
Ok. I can verify that it does work with the kreatel stb's as well.
However, as you point out in the faq, trick play doesn't work in the
current edition of the library. Any chance of that patch becoming
available soon?

Thank you for your time

Thomas