[Live-devel] audio latency

Jason L. Ellison infotek at datasync.com
Sat May 27 13:09:49 PDT 2006

Ross/List,

  I tested darkice feeding mp3/mp2 data to livecaster via a pipe on
vanilla linux kernels 2.4.31+ and 2.6.16+ and had the problem of audio
drift between what darkice was sending to the pipe and what livecaster was
reading from the pipe.  Linux kernel 2.4.x had approx. 250ms per hour
latency drift. Linux kernel 2.6.x had aprrox. 500ms per hour latency
drift.

  While using Freebsd 6.1,  latency drift was not detectable over a period
of 48 hours.

  I'm only noting it on the mailing list for others so they don't spend 2+
weeks recompiling linux kernels of all flavors trying to get it to work...
loosing hair, sleep, cigarettes... blah blah :)

  I sure wish I had know the issue existed.  And I wish I knew what the
timing discrepancy was.

-Jason Ellison