[Live-devel] testRelay

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 31 09:50:20 PDT 2006

>I am using testRelay to relay multicast from one network to another.
>I have PC with two network cards, each in different network.
>
>Multicast source is relayed but there is problem: Total multicast
>bitrate of source is about 20 Mbps and when it is relayed it grows up to
>   100 Mbps..
>
>This is very bad.. is there some kind of a bug?

No, but have you modfied the "testRelay.cpp" code?  I suspect that
you have changed the destination multicast address to be the same as
the incoming multicast address.  Don't do this - it will cause
outgoing multicast packets to get 'looped back' and re-transmitted
(ad infinitum).

"testRelay" was not intended to be used to relay traffic between two
different networks using the same multicast address.  (For that, you
need proper multicast routing - i.e., enabled in the OS.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>