[Live-devel] Streaming H.264/RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Nov 5 20:37:12 PST 2006

>I've noticed there are no examples of streaming h.264 video (over RTP) with
>liveMedia and I would like to use it as a library for my work.

Because this is a frequently-asked question, I have now included it in the FAQ:
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#h264-streaming

>I think I have done the grunt work as far demuxing and transcoding with
>another application I've written that will output to a two fifo
>buffers.
>
>PCMu --> /tmp/ulaw_input0
>H.264 --> /tmp/h264_input0
>
>Is the easiest way to accomplish my task similar to the MPEG1or2
>streaming example with H264 instead?

Yes, sort of.  However, because you already have separate audio and
video streams, you won't need to do any 'demultiplexing'.  (And
because your audio is u-law rather than MPEG, you should look to the
WAV audio streaming demo apps for guidance on how to stream it.)

Also, of course, both your audio and video streams will need to
deliver accurate presentation timestamps, otherwise you have no hope
of every synchronizing audio and video at the receiver end.