[Live-devel] Problem with socket buffer or not ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Oct 19 05:54:49 PDT 2006

>I found that a socket buffer is filling up with waiting packet,
>waiting to be received by user. I play some video, and before buffer
>filled up, the video was playing very slow. After buffer was filled
>up, video suddenly speed up, droping some frames all the time. But
>using VLC media player every thing is OK.
>

>I've restructured code, as you said, but the problem hasn't
>disapeared. :(. I'm still losing frames. Mayby you have some other
>idea?

The only thing I can suggest right now is that you increase the OS's
socket reception buffer - using "increaseReceiverBufferTo()" - to the
same value that's currently used in VLC: 2000000.  (You said before
that increasing this buffer helped someehat; perhaps you didn't
increase it enough?)

Alternatively, just use VLC, because it is already working OK for you :-)