[Live-devel] Multi-thread

Jerry Johns jerry.johns at nuvation.com
Fri Oct 27 12:14:04 PDT 2006

Hi all,

         Me again with the multi threaded business: so I managed to compile
and integrate the livemedia framework on a separate thread, and allow it to
run with the 3 or 4 other threads I have on my application; it works fine
with the others (some frames are being lost, but thats something I have to
look into, most prob due to extra load of other threads)

My next task involves feed live frames from another thread to this livemedia
thread; in this scenario, I'm thinking of two possibilities;

a)       just letting the all threads run as is, and let livemedia
constantly check a shared buffer to see if new data exists; if it does,
parse and send through RTP; otherwise, return nothing from doGetNextFrame()
- in this version, the video thread and livemedia thread act as separate
entities

b)       the video thread passes data to livemedia, which has to process it
imeediately and send it through rtp; once its done, it blocks itself and
lets video resume execution; this part I'm not too sure of; can I block this
livemedia thread, even though the select function in the doEventLoop also
does blocking when no sockets or available or no events are scheduled?
(Double blocks I mean)

What do you guys advise? Or a better approach?

Thanks