[Live-devel] Strange problem when spawning multiple instances of Live555 programs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 30 02:37:40 PST 2006

>In OnDemandServerMediaSubsession.cpp you have a while (1) loop,
>grabbing a port with an even number

Not anymore!  That code changed starting with version 2006.08.07 -
i.e., more than 2 months ago.  You should upgrade.

Everybody - please: Upgrade to the latest version of the code before
spending (wasting) a lot of time digging into alleged problems.

>  (why you need an even number, cannot guess).

Because the RTP standard specifies that even port numbers should be
used for RTP, with the next highest (and thus, odd) port number being
used for RTCP.  (Actually, this rule is not quite as manditory as it
used to be, but it remains the default and usual behavior.)

>What needs to be done to fix this is addressing the port number issue.

Right now I'm not convinced that there is anything that needs to be 'fixed'.