[Live-devel] temporal reference and Picture types for TS streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 8 02:01:35 PDT 2006

>We are trying to capture the temporal reference and picture types for TS
>streams from MPEG Video-specific header after parsing the RTP fixed headers
>on the client side. We could able to do it for ES and PS streams in
>networkReadHandler() function. But the same functionality is not working for
>TS streams. Also we observed that on the server side for TS streams, MPEG
>Video-specific header is not attached to each RTP packet after the RTP fixed
>header

That's correct.  See RFC 2550, section 2.  Unlike the RTP payload
format for MPEG-1 or 2 Elementary Streams, the RTP payload format for
MPEG Transport Streams does not include any extra RTP header;
instead, Transport Stream data is packed, 'as is', into RTP packets.

Therefore you will need to parse the Transport Stream data in order
to get MPEG-specific information.  Sorry.