[Live-devel] PES Packet length problem

Jeremy jeremy at electrosilk.net
Fri Sep 8 17:55:33 PDT 2006

Ross Finlayson wrote:

> According to the MPEG specifications, the maximum size of a PES
> packet is 6+65535.  If the input to your
> "MPEG2TransportStreamFromPESSource" object delivers data in chunks
> greater than this, then you'll need to fix this.
>
> (However, I agree that the current code should print out a warning
> message if "PES_packet_length" gets to big.)
PES packets can be longer than 6+65535. Quoting from ISO 13818-1, 2.4.3.7

PES_packet_length – A 16-bit field specifying the number of bytes in the PES packet following the last byte of the
field. A value of 0 indicates that the PES packet length is neither specified nor bounded and is allowed only in
PES packets whose payload consists of bytes from a video elementary stream contained in Transport Stream packets.